Friday, January 25, 2013

Settling for a Lesser Buck

Several years ago I set my sights on a truly remarkable buck. His antlers were tall and wide. I estimated him to have a B&C score in the high 160's.

I scouted him and had him patterned. I made it a priority to hunt him and only him. Unfortunately, planning the hunt was as close as I came to harvesting that buck. To the best of my knowledge no one ever killed him and he died of old age.

On the last day of the hunting season I did harvest a good buck. Even though he wasn’t "the buck", he was a great deer with a green score of 156".

Everyone knew my goal. And I failed to reach it. By the end of the season, I had my goal.

Some called it a failure. And some were happy to hear it. So let the haters hate. Let the doubters rejoice. I don’t care. I don’t care what other people think and I quickly re-framed my failure to the reality that this was still a fantastic result.

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." – Michaelangelo

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
Jim
http://jimcollyer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment