Saturday, May 25, 2013

Dig a Pit

Photo courtesy Apple Creek Ranch

One of the oldest and most successful methods of hunting deer is rarely used nowadays. I’m talking about hunting out of pits.


Back in my youth, I found an arrowhead on the West shore of Lake Coeur d’ Alene. I was looking around for more arrowheads when I found a shallow pit built with rock’s against a slide some 20 yards away. What I had discovered was an ancient Indian hunting blind. Digging shallow pits or making rock blinds near a deer trail was a common hunting tactic of Native Americans.

Hunting deer from a pit is as effective today as it was back there. The pit not only helps to keep your scent from spreading around but the low-profile does wonders to keep the deer from being spooked.

If you’re hunting in an area where treestands are not possible, you might want to think about digging a pit.

– Jim http://jimcollyer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment